GET IN TOUCH : 01484 821 500

Obtaining a Non-Molestation Order


If you have been subjected to domestic abuse, you may want to apply for a civil injunction or a non-molestation order to protect you and your family from further abuse.

The legal specialists at Ramsdens Solicitors can help you to obtain this protection quickly, and we will act in your best interests to ensure you are safe.

We have helped many people in your position, and our solicitors will act with diligence to ensure you are given the help you need.

We are recognised as a Law Society-accredited Family Law solicitor, which means we are well-placed to offer you assistance at this time.

Operating from offices across Yorkshire, our team is ready to help you obtain a non-molestation order. Contact us today by calling 01484 821 500 or fill out an online enquiry form, and we will be in touch with you at a time that is suitable, and safe, for you.

What is a non-molestation order?

A non-molestation order prevents your partner or ex-partner from using or threatening abuse against you or your children. It will also prevent this person from harassing or pestering you. The order is aimed at ensuring the health, safety and wellbeing of you and your family.

The order can prevent your partner or former partner from coming within a certain distance of your property.

In most cases, the respondent - the individual who the order has been made against - does not know that the order is being applied for. They are only made aware of it when they are served with the order.

Non-molestation orders tend to be valid for six or 12 months. A period of 12 months is likely to be appropriate in cases of long-term abuse. A period shorter than six months may be preferred in a case where there appears to be a one-off problem that is likely to subside after a short time, rather than prolonged abuse that has occurred on several occasions.

At Ramsdens Solicitors, we can offer assistance relating to all aspects of non-molestation orders. We will handle your case quickly and with the utmost sensitivity. Legal Aid is also available for applicants in non-molestation order proceedings, if financially eligible.

Who issues a non-molestation order?

If you want to issue a non-molestation order against a partner or former partner, you will need to do the following:

  • Check if you are eligible to apply by speaking to a solicitor about your circumstances who will be able to advise you on the next steps to take
  • Download and fill in an application form (form FL401) and make two copies
  • Write your witness statement to tell the court what has happened and ask for the relevant order
  • At the end of the witness statement, write a statement of truth. You should use the following words: “I believe that the facts stated in this witness statement are true.” Sign and date the statement of truth.
  • Download and fill in this form if you want to keep your address and telephone number private.
  • Deliver or send all the documents to your solicitor, who will then issue the order

Can a non-molestation order be extended?

Non-molestation orders are usually for a specified period of time. They can be renewed, or they may be made to last until a further order is given.

There is no time limit on the period of time that a non-molestation order can be extended for.

If you are in immediate danger, and you require an emergency non-molestation order, you can apply for this without notice. This can be particularly helpful if you require immediate protection.

Why choose Ramsdens?

We were Highly Commended in the Family and Private Client Teams of the Year at the Yorkshire Legal Awards 2017, which means we are well regarded in dealing with this type of case. Find out more about our family and matrimonial services.

View our awards and accreditations.

Contact Us

Call our family helpline on 08000 147 720 or send us an email to book a free information session at any of our offices. We also offer early morning and late evening appointments across our offices.