GET IN TOUCH : 01484 821 500

Change of Name

The decision to change your name is extremely personal, and the team at Ramsdens Solicitors is here to help you navigate the complex process of changing your name by law.

If you are wondering how to change your name and want to get the process started, give our Yorkshire-based team of expert solicitors a call on 01484 821 500 or fill out our online enquiry form and a member of our team will be in touch.

Formally changing your name

The family team at Ramsdens Solicitors make changing your name a straightforward process.

We will prepare a “Change of Name Deed” that includes the following important legal declarations:

  • You will abandon your previous name
  • You will use your new name at all times from the date of the Change of Name Deed
  • You will use your new name as a form of address
  • You will relinquish using your former name in all documents and will be known by and use your new name going forward

How much do we charge?

We charge a very competitive rate of £150 plus VAT to process your Change of Name Deed. The fee is due at your very first meeting with Ramsdens Solicitors and covers the cost of drafting the deed, your copies of the deed, and having it witnessed.

How to change your name

Our experienced and knowledgeable team make changing your name a quick and painless process, which is laid out below:

  • You will need to inform us what your name is now and what you wish to change it to.
  • We will then draft your Change of Name Deed, which can either be sent to you, or you can attend an appointment with our family team.
  • When you sign, you will need to do so in both your new and old names and your signature must be witnessed.
  • Ramsdens will provide you with the original Change of Name Deed and two certified copies.

How to change a child’s name

Our team can also prepare Deeds to change a child's name. Unlike other Change of Name Deeds, all people with parental responsibility must consent to their child’s change of name.

If all persons with parental responsibility do not consent, it will be necessary to make an Application to the court for a Specific Issue Order to change the child's name. The court will grant this if they feel that it is in the child's best interests for the name to be changed.

If the court grants an order, the court order can be provided as evidence that the child's name has been changed.

Why choose us?

We are recognised by The Law Society as a Family Lawyer, which means we can be trusted to handle all cases of this type in a professional and sensitive manner. We were also Highly Commended in the Family and Private Client Teams of the Year, Yorkshire Legal Awards 2017

View our awards and accreditations.

Contact Us

Call our family helpline on 08000 147720 or send us an email to book a free information session at any of our offices. We also offer early morning and late evening appointments across our offices.