GET IN TOUCH : 01484 821 500

Low Cost Small Claims

The specialist legal experts at Ramsdens Solicitors can offer advice and representation relating to low cost small claims. We have a great deal of experience in handling this type of case, and are well placed to assist you, no matter what your circumstances may be.

From our offices across Yorkshire, our solicitors are experts in assisting with issues in the small claims court, and we can help you to resolve such issues with the minimum of hassle.

Ramsdens is ranked in the prestigious Legal 500. This means you can be sure of our status as leading UK law firm and the fact that we uphold the very highest standards.

Contact us today by calling 01484 821 500 or fill out an online enquiry form and we will be in touch with you at a time that is suitable for you.

What is a small claims court?

The small claims court is used by people who are in dispute with others regarding a civil matter. It is a local court, where claims for smaller sums of money owed by an individual or business are decided as quickly and as cheaply as possible.

At present, the total sum that can be taken to small claims in England and Wales is £10,000, while in Scotland this is £5,000 and in Northern Ireland it is £3,000.

The small claims court can help people who:

  • are being chased for money that they do not believe they owe
  • are owed money by a business or individual
  • have been let down by poor workmanship
  • have been turned away by other solicitors due to the amount involved
  • have purchased faulty goods
  • have started or defended a claim, but now require legal assistance

It is possible to deal with a small claim yourself, however, the law is complex and the process can be difficult, depending on the type of claim you are dealing with.

If you would prefer to have legal assistance, do not feel comfortable in dealing with a claim yourself or if you do not have the time, Ramsdens Solicitors can help.

We act for both claimants and defendants, whether they are businesses or individuals.

How do I file a claim in small claims court?

In order to file a claim at a small claims court, you must file a brief description of your claim before paying a fee. This claim form will ask the claimant to detail why they believe the respondent owes them money.

Then, the respondent must decide whether they wish to state that they do indeed owe the money, or file a defence. If this is not carried out within 14 days, a court order must be obtained that instructs the respondent to pay in “default” of a response.

When you begin a claim, you must ensure that the legal documents offer adequate details, which make the basis of your claim as clear as possible. A solicitor can assist you with this.

Why choose Ramsdens?

We strive to meet and exceed expectations by providing quality legal services delivered by skilled professionals and are deeply committed to the success of our clients.

View our awards and accreditations.

Contact Us

If you are considering making a small claim, or have had a claim made against you or your business, our solicitors will be able to assist you and advise on the next steps to take. Call our small claims team on 01484 821 500.....we're here to help with small claims.

Click here to see more information about our Fixed Cost service.

Pages in this Section