GET IN TOUCH : 01484 821 500

Actions against the police

Anyone who has been treated badly may be able to take an action against the police.

If your civil liberties or human rights have been infringed because of some form of police misconduct, harassment, or abuse of power, then you may be entitled to compensation.

Our complaints and claims work against the Police has involved:-

  • making complaints to the police and other relevant state authorities
  • false imprisonment claims
  • wrongful arrest claims
  • damages claims for assault or unlawful or excessive force
  • Human Rights Act claims
  • “death in custody” cases
  • advising on and representing clients at HM Coroner’s inquests
  • Data Protection Act claims

Our civil liberties and human rights solicitors specialise in police law and civil actions and their wealth of experience has seen them take action the police and other prosecuting authorities including the Crown Prosecution Service, in a prison, mental health or other detention facilities.

Depending on the action taken, different deadlines will apply, so you should seek legal advice on the issue and ensure that you adhere to these deadlines as if you do not, you may be barred from pursuing bringing a claim.

Legal Aid is available for actions against the Police. When we first meet we will tell you if you qualify for help under this scheme.


Here at Ramsdens Solicitors we have a team of expert legal specialists, who are experienced in helping clients to access the legal options available to them and to seek justice for their maltreatment. If any issues within this article have affected you or a loved one please contact the abuse team on 0113 887 1834 for a chat in total confidence. Alternatively, you can make an enquiry using the enquiry form and we will be in touch when it is convenient for you.

We are able to arrange home, hospital or prison visits and have access to interpreters in a wide range of languages.

Pages in this Section