- Services for Business
- Services for Individuals
- Events & Media
- Contact Us
- Conveyancing login
Domestic abuse of any form, whether it is emotional, physical or financial is never ok. We are here to help and there are many options available to you to afford you and your family the protection and security that you deserve.
You may be scared and apprehensive to begin straight away with court proceedings - in some circumstances, a warning letter may prove to be a useful tool to stop the perpetrator of domestic abuse.
What is a warning letter?
A warning letter is an official letter written by your solicitor on your behalf. It informs the perpetrator of domestic abuse that their actions should stop immediately otherwise the sufferer will make an application to Court. Put simply, a warning letter gives the perpetrator an ultimatum - either stop or the court will become involved.
What are the benefits of warning letters?
• They spell out in black and white to the perpetrator that their actions are not ok and must cease immediately otherwise legal action will be taken.
• They provide an initial step in cases of domestic abuse without the stress of having to go to court.
• If you are not eligible for legal aid, you may find an initial letter a cost effective means of going forward.
Your solicitor will always ensure that sending a warning letter is the most appropriate form of action to take. For example, if you live with the perpetrator of domestic violence sending such a letter may cause further difficulties for you.
As a victim of domestic violence you may be eligible for legal aid to fund the costs of the warning letter. Your solicitor will go through this with you at your initial free thirty minute consultation.
Remember, you are not alone.
• In an emergency - always dial 999 and contact the police for assistance.
• Support is available to you through agencies such as the National Domestic Violence Helpline- 0808 2000 247 open 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
We are here to help
At Ramsdens Solicitors, we have a team of highly experienced family solicitors and support staff who will provide you with expert legal advice regarding your circumstances. Domestic abuse #isneverok. Contact our family team on 08000 147720, email firstname.lastname@example.org or text LAW to 67777 to arrange a free thirty minute consultation in any of our ten offices across West Yorkshire.