GET IN TOUCH : 01484 821 500

A Deputy is a person appointed by the Court of Protection to manage the finances and/or personal welfare of another person who lacks the mental capacity to manage their affairs themselves.

Once a person has lost their mental capacity a deputyship application by a third party may be necessary and indeed may be the only alternative if the person lacking capacity has not previously made a Lasting Power of Attorney.

Any person over the age of 18 years can make an application to be a Deputy, in many cases this will be a spouse or close relative. If you are becoming concerned about your ability, or a loved ones ability, to effectively manage your (or their) affairs, we can assist and support you.

It will be necessary to appoint a professional Deputy in many cases where there is no-one willing or able to take on the role, or where the person lacking mental capacity has a large estate.

Our wealth of experience and expertise in this area has been reflected by one of our Partners, Veronica Mullins being appointed as one the Court approved Panel Deputies in England and Wales authorised to manage the financial or welfare affairs of those who are unable to look after their own business or personal interests.

We can assist you in making applications for the appointment of Deputies, administer deputyships and have experts approved by the court to take on the role of a professional Deputy.

If you would like further information or advice on Court of Protection/Deputies, please call our Court of Protection Team on 01422 330 700, text LAW to 67777 or email Natalie Lang and Robyn Mayoh - .